Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cassius Aupers

Go down 
+3
thorogoodd
Dominator046
Pac Man
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pac Man
Pac Man

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 05, 2014 7:35 pm

Cassius Aupers

Cassius Aupers Xnwwav

Character Information

Basic Details

Name: Cassius Aupers.
Race: Human.
D&D Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
Marital Status: Single.

Aesthetic Details

Skin Tone: Pale Skin.
Eye Color: Light Brown.
Hair Color: Dark Brown.
Hair Length: Short Hair, Curly.
Facial Hair: Roughly Shaven, usually a light stubble
Weight: 130lbs.
Height: 5'9, 1.75 Meters.
Build: Small framed, but athletic.

Socio-economic Details

Nationality: Estavyrian.
Birthplace: Estavyr.
Economic Standing: Upper-Lower Class

Miscellaneous Details

Spoken Languages: Common.
Literacy: Common.
Accent: Estavryian.
Criminal Status: Arrested for suspicious activity, loitering, petty theft, and trespassing. Suspected of assault, theft, grand theft,  burglary, and murder.

Attributes:

Physique: Physical Capabilities.
<4/10> - Small built, but with very high endurance. He can lift himself and his gear rather easily, but Cassius will not be lifting heavy bastard swords or be wearing plate mail anytime soon.
Intelligence: Mental Capabilities.
<6/10> - A little above average intelligence, but nothing special.
Attunement: Magical Affinity and Aptitude.
<2/10> - No noticeable capabilities or practical use of magic.
Willpower: Spiritual Capability and Inner Strength.
<4/10> - He is capable of withstanding harsh conditions for a small period of time, but will generally flee from the danger if given the opportunity.
Cunning: Craftiness and Quick Thinking
<8/10> - A life of quick encounters has made Cassius quick on his feet, and more importantly, quick with his escape.
Guile: Sleuthiness and Rogue-like nature.
<8/10> - Due to his choice of profession, Cassius has become extremely skilled in his scoundrel ways.

Skills:

Agile – Raised on the streets and rather small in stature, Cassius went with what he learned, and stuck with it. He is quick on his feet and capable of reaching heights in a rather impractical manner.

Stealth – Over the course of almost two decades, Cassius has honed his ability to move and be unheard and unseen. He can be quite the ghost at times.

Lockpicking – As would be expected from any proper thief, Cassius is decently skilled at lockpicking, and is capable of picking the types of locks you generally find in Strongboxes in the Gildren district.

Pickpocketing – Another skill generally known to be employed by a proper thief; Cassius is also rather good at lifting objects from unsuspecting men, particularly coin purses and satchels.

Flaws:

Open combat – Although unafraid of engaging or even killing another person if need be, Cassius will generally opt to attack from the shadows. If engaged in open combat, he will more than likely attempt to escape by any means necessary.

Untrusting – A product of his own nefarious deeds, Cassius will rarely trust anyone with more than basic knowledge or information. Due to this he can be quite hard to work with at times.

Unloyal – Once again a product of his own nefarious deeds, Cassius is generally an untrustworthy fellow, and is more inclined to care about himself and lining his pockets than helping out a so-called 'friend'. There are few exceptions for this, the primary of which is when it will help him in return.

Physical Description

Slender in frame but rather tall in stature, Cassius appears as a thin young man with an eerie aura following his presence closely. Although slender in nature, it is clear that he has some definition in his physique due to the way he presents himself, along with how he moves when motivated to do so. He is adorned with brown, curly hair along with a rough shave, usually in the form of a light stubble.

Short Backstory & Personality

Born to the streets and left alone rather early in life, Cassius' tale is that of a simple one. He was a child-beggar for a significant part of his life, at least up until he was six or seven; It was soon after that Cassius had learned of another way to feed himself, and that was through stealing. Primarily at the time it was food from stalls, blankets, anything that he could swipe that he needed to survive. As he grew, his thievery turned from necessity and more into a job of sorts, not only surviving off of his nefarious deeds, but actually prospering enough to make a living.

As he got better, he began to make more of an impact, eventually meeting fence contacts that could give him more bang for his buck, and also they were substantially less dangerous as before he sold his goods through back-alley deals. As his life progressed, he made a bit of a name for himself in Estavyr as a thief, and this was furthered as he was unafraid to take some of the more risky endeavors given to him in order to make a profit. Now, at the age of twenty-six, Cassius is doing what he's always done; The main difference now being he's looking for the big scores, the things that can finally take him up a district.

After many years of thievery and nefarious activities, the line between moral and immoral are so blurred for Cassius that they might as well not exist for him. The entirety of his being suggests that he has little moral compass, and has little care for one, as what he does in life seems to have little to no effect on his conscious. He cares little for loyalty or honesty and believes too much of either is pointless, not to mention stupid; It seems the only loyalty Cassius holds is to himself.

Inventory

Quality : Poor – CommonReliablePotentAwesomeEpic

Weapons:

Two steel Broad Daggers – Two broad daggers made of standard steel. They are well-balanced and of military design, obviously meant to be sidearms for soldiers or a simple personal defense tool for a standard man. Although nothing special, they are generally coated in poison if Cassius is expecting battle.

A blackjack club – A small and easily concealed wooden club with black leather wrapping and a small lead weight attached to the end. Used primarily by Cassius as a non-lethal weapon; This is his preferred weapon for stealthy approaches, where leaving a dead guard is most likely more problematic than an unconscious guard.

Five throwing knives – Five small, balanced iron throwing knives generally found on Cassius as a 'just-in-case' set of weapons. Although sharp, they are generally more of a deterrent than a lethal set of weaponry. Like the daggers, they are occasionally coated in poison.

Armor & Apparel:

Black Hood and Face Wrap – A simple black cloth hood with a dark brown face wrap usually used to conceal Cassius' identity. Although almost useless for protecting against any sort of weaponry, it makes an excellent rain cloak.

Black Leather Set – A set comprised of a curiass, gloves, greaves and boots; All made of hardened leather and dyed a darker shade of black to further help conceal himself in the darkness. Due to the armors relatively good make, it is capable of stacking light slashes and strikes, but most likely little else. Cassius doesn't wish to test it further if possible.

Miscellaneous:

Small bottle of poison – The poison of choice employed by Cassius on occasion due to its reliability. If ingested or otherwise put into the body via alternative methods, such as a quick strike from a dagger coated with it, the target will generally start to feel incredibly nauseous and delirious within a matter of a minute or two. It is not lethal unless a large amount is administered, which is the primary reason Cassius finds it so effective for general use.

Lockpicking tools – A set of tools made of fine materials that is essential to many of Cassius' burglaries. Good quality and reliable in make; Cassius would never leave home without them.

Last edited by Pac Man on Fri May 09, 2014 2:01 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Dominator046

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 05, 2014 7:50 pm

He starts off pretty well, and he's quite an interesting character. How do you anticipate him growing through roleplay?
Back to top Go down
Pac Man
Pac Man

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Dominator046 wrote:
He starts off pretty well, and he's quite an interesting character. How do you anticipate him growing through roleplay?

There are many ways to do that such as jobs, characters, and events that happen as the roleplay progresses. I can see him further honing his skills, meeting some interesting characters like yours (I'm sure they'll be besties). I'm looking forward to other ways I can make him grow through the roleplay.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
thorogoodd

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Sudden explosion of thief-like characters.
Back to top Go down
Noodle
Noodle

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 05, 2014 9:13 pm

thorogoodd wrote:

At least it makes more sense than the explosion of aristocrats we had earlier. Its ridiculous, there are like five.
Back to top Go down
Pac Man
Pac Man

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyWed May 07, 2014 3:39 am

thorogoodd wrote:

Rip-ded.

In all seriousness, though, if there's anything you think I can fix, change, or otherwise refine please let me know. I like feedback.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Dominator046

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:20 pm

-

He said the magic word.

Pac Man wrote:
Rip-ded.

Err, oops. Wrong one.

Pac Man wrote:
I like feedback.

First thing I'd say, take a good long look at those attributes. What's that tell you? Aside from a single value of two, he seems... well, pretty much good at everything. I'd say a 4-5 rating is good, even if its only par. It's not a detriment by any means, making him very well rounded with little gap for detriment.

Your economic standing might need a shift. A thief in the middle class? I'd assume he had some connections to get there, a really good payoff, or maybe something worth putting in a backstory. If not, he'd probably be in the lower / working class. I'd also think there'd be some incidents of him encountering the law. Trespassing maybe, suspicious activity, minor things that they couldn't pin him in a cell for at least.

I feel a main bit of reservation that some people have here is the short personality listing, and no backstory. Usually when I design a character, I go for one and attempt to draw it out - usually the character determines which I'll use. This community seems to favor the Backstory over a personality unless what you're asking for is a very blunt and forthright identity. I'd say either -really- sell that personality, or change it to a backstory and help us see your character.

Your character seems fitting for a rogue, less a thief and more a rogue in general. I like that he avoids direct combat and utilizes alterior resources to get ahead when pulled into a fight - I also like that these crutches aren't automatically lethal as I see with so much rogue RP.

In short, I like him, he just needs a few touches. All the changes I've suggested will likely make honing his skills, meeting characters (and or being besties), and so on more approachable.

---

EDIT: GAAAAAAAAH THE SONG IS GOOD, BUT AT ONE MINUTE, THAT FUCKIN' WHISTLE BLARE. HAAAAALP.

Last edited by Dominator046 on Wed May 07, 2014 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : EDIT)
Back to top Go down
Jacque
Jacque

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Dominator046 wrote:
aforementioned post

I actually agree with every point made by Dominator. My main concerns for not throwing you an accept is getting a backstory done, and also lowering your stats a tad. Too many highly skilled characters that earn their stats off the bat can and WILL spoil this roleplay for those that have earned their attributes through a long period of roleplay.

edit: not all of your stats

edit II: just the ones that are quite high
Back to top Go down
Pac Man
Pac Man

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyThu May 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for the feed back, I'll edit and refine as I see fit based on the suggestions.

EDIT : I added a short back story. It is just that, however, short. His life story isn't really anything short of someone who robbed out of necessity, and found out he was good enough at it to make a living.

EDIT 2 : I also changed up some of the stats. The guile and cunning are staying as is, otherwise the whole premise of the character is pretty much shit canned. I lowered physique and willpower. Physique because, although he is fast and can climb with ease, he isn't strong in a more traditional sense (Hard hits, heavy weaponry, heavy items, ect.). Willpower was lowered a bit because he is a thief that will avoid battle if possible, so it's only natural he'd have more-than-below-average willpower.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Dominator046

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyFri May 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Since this page hasn't been looked at since the above edits have been made, I will give my own opinion.

The character has an attribute score somewhat above an average-joe, but that's okay with me. He's still pretty average in the long run, especially given some of the other characters I've beheld on the server. I'm much willing to see a person with social / indirect strength than another person with massive combat strength who struggles to talk to people. Though, I would still advise dropping willpower by 1 to make two skills substandard instead of just one.

WhyDominator046HasShittyStupidOpinions:

As for his Strengths and Weaknesses listed, I'm fine with the imbalance in the list, mostly as I can imagine other weaknesses (and a strength or two, perhaps) that you haven't listed that are more situational.  I also like the added Criminal Activity, makes the character much more believable.

The short personality and backstory paints the character well enough for me, he's simple - but that's not a bad thing. You've painted him, and I'm willing to see what this character can do.

In short, I feel this character is at least worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Blue

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Pac Man wrote:
D&D Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.

I'm not a fan of D&D alignments, but if you feel like your character fits this label perfectly, then by all means. I just think it oversimplifies characters' complex morals.

Pac Man wrote:

It's "Rogue."

Pac Man wrote:
Accent: Estavryian.

Estavyrian.

Dominator046 wrote:
My system in a nutshell. It sucks. It was created quickly, mainly used by myself to paint a picture, and largely quantifies qualities (as all games do, despite the struggle) that aren't always meant to be quantified.

I agree with this statement. I think the system focuses far too much on lists - lists of skills, items, physical traits... and each has a little categorization, like this is an MMORPG or something. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Pac Man wrote:
Intelligence: Mental Capabilities.
<6/10> - A little above average intelligence, but nothing special.
Cunning: Craftiness and Quick Thinking
<8/10> - A life of quick encounters has made Cassius quick on his feet, and more importantly, quick with his escape.
Guile: Sleuthiness and Rogue-like nature.
<8/10> - Due to his choice of profession, Cassius has become extremely skilled in his scoundrel ways.

These three abilities aren't something you can really state in your character page. Your character is only going to be as smart and as charismatic as you yourself are. For example, if someone says "My character is 10/10 charisma" that doesn't mean anything if the RPer can't actually persuade others ICly. Stating your character is an escape artist is not a get out of jail free card, either, unless you can actually come up with a plausible method of escape.

Pac Man wrote:
Stealth – Over the course of almost two decades, Cassius has honed his ability to move and be unheard and unseen. He can be quite the ghost at times.

Pickpocketing – Another skill generally known to be employed by a proper thief; Cassius is also rather good at lifting objects from unsuspecting men, particularly coin purses and satchels.

I'm on the fence about these two, because they relate to my previous point. Your character is only as effective as you are when it comes to strategically moving about unseen and sneaking up on people. Pickpocketing someone ICly can be tricky, too. These two skills aren't as bad as the previous three, though.

Pac Man wrote:
Open combat – Although unafraid of engaging or even killing another person if need be, Cassius will generally opt to attack from the shadows. If engaged in open combat, he will more than likely attempt to escape by any means necessary.

If he's unafraid of engagements, why does he flee from them?

Pac Man wrote:
Unloyal – Once again a product of his own nefarious deeds, Cassius is generally an untrustworthy fellow, and is more inclined to care about himself and lining his pockets than helping out a so-called 'friend'. There are few exceptions for this, the primary of which is when it will help him in return.

This is inviting metagaming from other RPers, and something you probably should have left out. Too late now, but yeah.

Pac Man wrote:
Short Backstory & Personality

The backstory is decent. It's simple, does what it's supposed to do. His hard life has shaped him into the man he is today, made him mistrusting and wary of other people. It might be interesting to see how (or if) he can overcome these personal issues.

Pac Man wrote:
A blackjack club – A small and easily concealed wooden club with black leather wrapping and a small lead weight attached to the end. Used primarily by Cassius as a non-lethal weapon; This is his preferred weapon for stealthy approaches, where leaving a dead guard is most likely more problematic than an unconscious guard.

Sounds like someone played Thief.

Pac Man wrote:
Small bottle of poison – The poison of choice employed by Cassius on occasion due to its reliability. If ingested or otherwise put into the body via alternative methods, such as a quick strike from a dagger coated with it, the target will generally start to feel incredibly nauseous and delirious within a matter of a minute or two. It is not lethal unless a large amount is administered, which is the primary reason Cassius finds it so effective for general use.

I actually don't have much of a problem with this. Maybe I'm in a good mood, or perhaps it's because it requires some planning and thought to use effectively. It gives him a good edge against more powerful fighters and mages.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Dominator046

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 26, 2014 10:23 am

Blue wrote:

These three abilities aren't something you can really state in your character page. Your character is only going to be as smart and as charismatic as you yourself are. For example, if someone says "My character is 10/10 charisma" that doesn't mean anything if the RPer can't actually persuade others ICly. Stating your character is an escape artist is not a get out of jail free card, either, unless you can actually come up with a plausible method of escape.

I don't think just because a person OoCly does or does not have the skills to perform a certain type of RP, they should be totally excluded from it. I have never attempted to (too roughly) bludgeon someone over the head for poor RP in particular subjects. That would be the equivalent of saying that I can't MedicalRP well unless I have advanced qualifications in certain medical fields. While I always try to encourage education of certain aspects and skillsets before the roleplay begins, I don't believe that the presence of, or lackthereof, of OoC skills/basis should determine what is an applicable attribute or skillset.

Now, while I see your points that these attributes aren't so much like skills as they are quality of a character - I feel they exist to help other people understand that "this guy's good with his words, and even if OoCly something feels fishy, I should remember that IC this guy's at least coming at me believably".

I'm not saying to tolerate some failRP, but I'm saying that presenting these things in his character page isn't an attempt to establish a crutch, but to establish that this is how this character should act. I don't mean to bring personal arguement into this - but if I took my OoC ability to debate and reason on Aeoric, then well - I would be of a much greater ability to approach diplomacy. That's not how the character works however, and I feel that that blade cuts both ways.

Blue wrote:
If he's unafraid of engagements, why does he flee from them?

Because confrontation is not how he handles them. He's confident he can deal with an open engagement by escaping it. Fighting the guy might not work, but running away, and trying again when he's sleeping or unawares might. He who fights and runs away, lives to steal another day.

Blue wrote:
I actually don't have much of a problem with this. Maybe I'm in a good mood, or perhaps it's because it requires some planning and thought to use effectively. It gives him a good edge against more powerful fighters and mages.

I originally read this as several minutes, so thank you for catching that lapse in mine own examination. While I think that the time for the poison to take effect should be a bit longer, I don't have much a problem with it. I don't see a skilled fighter losing in an open fight with him over the nausea - I do however see the fighter being slowed and unable to pursue. With mages, they'd be much less able to cast and work their magic, and make him one of few characters that I've seen possibly able to counter a mage (without being a mage XD).
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Atlas

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyMon May 26, 2014 1:33 pm

A character is only as beleiveable as you can make it.

If someone dosent go on the forums often and rp's with a character that is 10/10 charismatic or whatever, what happens if he dosen't beleive said character? Does the guy then have to say "I'm charismatic you have to beleive me." in ooc?

Personality traits are best kept out of character sheets imo
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Dominator046

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Atlas wrote:
A character is only as beleiveable as you can make it.

If someone dosent go on the forums often and rp's with a character that is 10/10 charismatic or whatever, what happens if he dosen't beleive said character? Does the guy then have to say "I'm charismatic you have to beleive me." in ooc?

Personality traits are best kept out of character sheets imo

Long winded shit:

He's not applying for an OoC get out of jail free card. He's saying that he will RP this character to be a charismatic, indirect character. If he doesn't do it believably, then he'll fail at what he does - due to his inability to RP the character.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cassius Aupers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cassius Aupers   Cassius Aupers Empty

Back to top Go down

Cassius Aupers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Advent Roleplay :: Character Compendium :: Approval-
Jump to: